Divorce Information Southend-on-Sea

If you're going through a divorce make sure you're informed about family law, child custody issues, maintenance payments and everything else that could come up in the process. Here you’ll find additional information on divorce as well as local companies and providers that may help you in your search.

Thomas Lindsey Brown Co
01702 466266
821 Southchurch Road
Southend On Sea

Data Provided by:
Bates Travell Tmk Solicitors Llp
01702 349494
Baryta House
Southend On Sea

Data Provided by:
Christopher Pinnion & Co
01702 338218
162 Hamlet Court Road
Westcliff On Sea

Data Provided by:
Jeffrey J Shalet & Co
01702 340389
413 London Road
Westcliff On Sea

Data Provided by:
01702 347853
350-352 London Road
Westcliff On Sea

Data Provided by:
Robert A Watson & Sons
01702 345255
15 Clifftown Road
Southend On Sea

Data Provided by:
Roger Green
01702 332828
16 Weston Road
Southend On Sea

Data Provided by:
David Webb & Co
01702 392939
492 London Road
Westcliff On Sea

Data Provided by:
White Frances M Solicitor
01702 348384
26 Clifftown Road
Southend On Sea

Data Provided by:
Marcus Baum
01702 346677
33 Clarence Street
Southend On Sea

Data Provided by:
Data Provided by:

Divorce Advice & Information

Divorce Advice & Information


A divorce is a formal termination of a marriage.

As long as you have been married for at least one year either partner of a marriage can apply for divorce to the court in England and Wales. One party must have lived in England or Wales for at least the year previous to the divorce application. If you have married abroad and now wish to divorce then you can apply for a divorce in England/Wales but you must have been domiciled or habitually resident in England or Wales for one year to apply for a divorce.

You should also consider mediation , counselling and all other alternatives to save your relationship before you decide to commence divorce proceedings.

What do I do first?

Before even thinking about starting divorce proceedings you should ensure you are fully informed - it is important you are aware of the procedures and your rights.

There is only one ground for divorce and that is that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. The court will need evidence proving the ground for divorce. Evidence of the breakdown has to be shown by proving one of the following:

  • Adultery
  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Desertion
  • Two years separation if both parties agree
  • Five years separation

Your evidence is set out in a document called a petition. If you file for divorce you are called the petitioner and your husband or wife is called the respondent. If you think you can handle the paperwork for the divorce yourself then there are many places on the net where you can download the forms, including Quickie-Divorce and Managed Divorce . Alternatively you can call your local County Court and ask them for their DIY divorce pack.

If your divorce is going to be complicated involving large assets, custody of children, an unpleasant ex-spouse or you simply don't want to deal with your ex then you are better involving a divorce law solicitor at this stage who will complete the petition with you. If you are using an online service you can fill the forms online, otherwise they are sent to court and one copy is then sent to your ex partner.

What happens next?

If your ex partner does not intend to contest the divorce (defend the petition) then they will reply to the court and you will be sent a copy. If your partner does intend to defend the petition you will also be notified.

Depending on whether the petition is contested or not will determine if you have to appear in court. If the case is straightforward and a judge is happy to grant a divorce you will be sent Form D84A which will tell you the time and date when the Judge will grant your divorce. This is called 'pronouncing the decree nisi'.

Divorce has two stages:

Decree Nisi - this is given by the court if they are satisfied that grounds for divorce have been established.

Decree Absolute - this makes the divorce final. At this point the divorce is irrevocable.


Click here to read the rest of this article from Armchair Advice